Indian active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) market was worth more than USD xx billion in revenue in 2017 and is expected to cross USD xx billion in 2022, growing at a healthy CAGR of over 7.5% during the forecast period.
Bulk drugs or active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) are primary raw materials for pharmaceutical formulations. Production of APIs involves sophisticated reaction mechanisms between intermediates under controlled conditions. The cost and quality of production are two main factors in the bulk drug industry. Not all pharmaceutical companies possess in-house APIs manufacturing capabilities. Furthermore, a single company cannot produce all the APIs required for their formulation line up.
Active PharmaceuticaI Ingredients Market in India
After years of sluggish growth, Indian Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients industry is expected to recover in 2017-18, driven by solid demand from the formulation industry and strong growth in direct exports on the back of low intermediate chemical prices supported by low crude oil prices.
The country’s API market is 3rd largest in the world in terms of volume and 13th largest in terms of value. India’s API production has seen a stable growth in the last couple of years in the generic sector and is expected to grow at a healthy CAGR of 7.5% in the forecast period 2017-2022.
There are over 2700 API manufacturers in the country, of which majority are small unorganized manufacturers. Though API market in India happens to be highly fragmented, it is actually expected to become consolidated in the coming years due to increasing competition and foreign investment.
In addition, the growing number of off-patent drugs in the pharmaceutical market has resulted in the expansion of generic market leading to a substantial increase in demand for generic APIs from formulation industry.
Growth in demand for on-patent APIs is expected to be slower compared to off-patent APIs, primarily due to weaker growth of branded pharmaceuticals as opposed to generic pharmaceuticals in regulated markets.
The report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Indian API Market Segments
- Indian API Market Size
- Imports & Exports
- Indian API Market Competitive Landscape
- 100+ Company Profiles
- In-depth summary of parent market
- Altering market characteristics in the industry
- Detailed market segmentation
- Historical and forecast market size in terms of volume and value
- Current industry developments
- Competitive landscape
- Key players and products available
- Potential and niche areas showing promising growth
Who Should Buy This Report:
- API manufacturers (for market entry and to understand competition)
- Formulation companies (to find better suppliers)
- Fine chemical, Equipment & EPC, CRO players ( to find customers)
- Investors who are looking for M&As or looking for equity investment